Pages


Thursday, February 18, 2010

My first post: Making Pot Pie


  • Hi! I can't seem to figure out how to get my main page quite how I want it, please bare with me, I will be working on it as I go. I just don't want to wait any longer to start my blog... I will have to figure it out later when I have one of my computer nerd friends over here to help me.
  • I've been dying to try out my re-do for this recipe. I don't always have enough time to cook something that takes 1 1/2 hours, which is unfortunate, but makes us all appreciate it a little more when I do! The original recipe called for different veggies and just to use water not veggie broth, buttermilk and other things I never cook with. When I cook and keep a recipe I like it to be very versatile. Anyone can try it hopefully with what you have all ready in your fridge. Don't be afraid to switch things up a bit.
  • A few tips along that line:
  • Root veggies are usually interchangeable; carrots, potatoes, parsnips, yams, sweet potatoes, beets(watch out though everything will turn pink or red!) etc..
  • Margarine can always be substituted for butter, although some people will disagree with this, if you are vegan and have been for a while you no longer need the butter sensation(hard to believe, but true). After that, cutting out margarine, I know that the next move(health-wise) is to cut out hydrogenated fats(like almost all margarine). This recipe could technically be made with olive oil in the biscuits instead of butter, with a little experimenting. (My diet has reverted slightly since moving to Wisconsin 5 years ago, I was practically vegan and now eat cheese and butter probably more than I should, what can I say, I live in WI now..the great excuse)(still no cow milk or eggs for me though!)
  • I like to use organic corn and peas that have been frozen(they have a nice fresh taste if not over-cooked) as opposed to squishy canned veggie flavor, but I'm sure it would work if that's all you have. I think part of the reason a lot of kids(and adults too!) don't like veggies is because of bad experiences eating over-cooked veggies, like frozen spinach-yuk!! I do love fresh spinach though!!
  • You can use any kind of broth, I use vegetarian bouillon cubes reconstituted in water. I stock up on them when they are on sale at our local co-op. They are sort of like cheating to me but sure speed up a meal and make it tastier(as opposed to cooking your own broth all day long!). Instead of broth I do like to use leftover soup in recipes, if it's too thick just water it down a little. You can ALWAYS use water instead but may then want to add more seasonings...
  • Enough with the tips all ready, here's the recipe:
  • Easy Veggie Pot Pie
  • Serves 6
  • Ingredients: 1-2 Tbsp Oil(I used Olive, any will do)
  • 2 cups chopped onion(or 1 large onion)
  • 1-3 cloves garlic(more if you want your pie to have a garlic theme),sliced
  • yam(1 large), cubed
  • potatoes(2 large, any variety, wash but leave the peel if no bad spots),cubed
  • carrots(3 large), sliced
  • So that's 6-8 cups total root veggies, can be more or less of any!
  • 3 cups veggie broth
  • 3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 Tbsp Tamari(or soy sauce) optional
  • 1 tsp salt, or to taste
  • For the biscuit topping(mmmmm...)
  • 2 heaping cups unbleached white flour
  • Yes it is important to use(and always buy) unbleached flour, why? because it's not good to eat bleach!
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder(don't forget this or your biscuits won't rise!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 6 Tbsp melted butter(or margarine)
  • 1 cup soymilk(plain)(rice, almond, or hemp milk would work too)
  • 1 tsp dried dill(or 2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill)
  • That's it for ingredients, like I said, don't hesitate to try variations with what you have. I think any thick leftover soup would be transformed if poured in a pan, a few days later, and had this biscuit topping added to it and baked... Just an idea!
  • Ok so put the 1-2 Tbsp oil in a soup pot on med heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
  • Add yams, potatoes, carrots and the veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat again, simmer until veggies are just tender, 15-20 minutes.
  • Add cornstarch/water mixture. Stir constantly for a couple of minutes.
  • When mixture starts to thicken mix in; peas, corn, tamari and salt(if needed).
  • Pour into lightly oiled 13x9 inch baking dish(I used a glass one).
  • Set aside
  • Now preheat your oven to 400 degrees
  • Mix dry biscuit ingredients in a bowl; flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
  • Melt butter in a small pan, turn off heat, add soy milk and stir well
  • Mix butter/milk in with dry bowl ingredients with a wooden spoon stirring as little as possible(if you stir too much your biscuit topping won't be as fluffy)
  • Drop by heaping spoonfuls(this part would be fun for a kid to do)
    onto veggie mix in baking pan, covering as much as possible
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until you can insert a knife and it comes out with no biscuit topping on it. Top should be lightly browned!
  • Serve immediately!!
  • I wanted to take a picture of my pie before cutting it but I forgot as everyone was starving and sat down with heaping bowlfuls immediately. That was when I remembered. After the first few bites were gone and believe me no one wanted to wait then either for my picture. It was so good everyone wanted to keep on eating!
  • This is not my usual pot pie recipe but is a much easier version(long version will be added on a less busier day!) which I can see now being added to my regular recipes! This was so delicious and a meal in itself! Totally satisfies that comfort food craving!
  • I would love to hear if anyone tries this recipe and any comments or questions anyone may have!
  • ENJOY!!

0 comments: